Organise

How to Make Super Cute Labels Using Microsoft Word!

June 8, 2013

Today I am going to show you the absolute easiest way to make labels without any fancy photoshop skills. It is super simple and the only program you will need is microsoft word.

Pssst… You can see the rest of my laundry room super soon on one of my favourite blogs – The Organised Housewife

The first thing you need to do is download this amazing free font and install it on your computer. This could quite possibly be my favourite font ever and there aren’t even any letters!

This font is made up of shapes, so each letter has a different shape. It is meant for die cutters like a silhouette however it is also super useful for making labels.

The second thing you need to do is find some super cute fonts to use. You can use your stock standard ones or you can download one. These are my two absolute favourites at the moment for making labels. You can download them for free here – Cookie and Lavanderia.

Okay now how to make the labels.

1. Pick out the shape or shapes you want to use. For this label I used No’s 7 & 8.

2. Click on the text box icon and draw a text box. Then select the 09 Kutups font.

3. Next you just need to write the letter or number corresponding with the shape you want to use. I wrote the 8 first. Enlarge the font so it is quite large – I made mine 300.
If you don’t want to add another shape skip to step 6.

4. Make another text box about the same size as the first. Move it so it is right over the top of the other. Now you need to type your second shape, in my case 7.

5. The size for your second shape should be just a little smaller than the first. Mine was 280.
Now you can adjust the colours of your shapes. Select each shape individually and click this button, then pick the colour you want.

6. Next you will need to make one last text box which is a bit smaller than your shape.

7. Pick the font you would like for your text and write your label.

8. If you want to make more than 1 label, select all 3 text boxes and click copy, then paste them further down the page. You can then change the text in each one

9. This will make some large labels, if you want them smaller just change the size of your fonts.

10. Now all you need to do is print them out.

You have a couple of options when printing out your labels. You can print them onto cardboard and use them as they are. You can print them onto paper, cut them out then laminate them or your can print them directly onto sticky labels like these.

There is also a couple of options when attaching them. You can use mounting tape, sticky velcro spots, hot glue, or punch some holes and tie it on with ribbon or twine.

The options are endless with this amazing font, I would love to see what you come up with.

So… What are you going to label first? I hope this tutorial helps takes your organisation projects from wow to WOW!

You Might Also Like

19 Comments

• Reply Anonymous June 19, 2013 at 7:16 am

Hi these are amazing and I love them but having a little trouble. My text boxes are printing, not sure how to stop this, and when I layer them they are going over the top of each other but you can see what is behind each text box. Any ideas thanks Jane

• Reply foreverorganised June 19, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Hi Jane,
      To remove the text box outline select the shape then click on the format tab up the top.
      The second buttons from the left should be a paint can and a pencil. Click on these and make sure both are set to No Fill and No Line. Also, make sure your transparency is set to zero if you have this option (Only on mac I believe).
      I hope this helps, let me know if you have anymore problems.

Thanks πŸ™‚

• Reply Lindsey June 19, 2013 at 9:04 am

Thank you so much for this! I always look at these organising blogs and see their wonderful labels but never know how to recreate them. This is brilliant!

• Reply Paula June 19, 2013 at 11:41 am

Mine are doing the same as Anonymous'. Any ideas?

• Reply foreverorganised June 19, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Hi Paula, I have replied with some instructions above. If this doesn't work please let me know.
      Thanks πŸ™‚

• Reply Making Magical Memories June 19, 2013 at 12:08 pm

Anonymous and Paula – I would suggest you select each text box individually and then in the format menu, change the outline and fill to "none". This should fix your problems of printed text boxes by removing the outline and making the background see through. πŸ™‚

• Reply Libby June 21, 2013 at 1:40 am

Thanks for this tutorial Jessica! I'm going to go home and give it a whirl pronto!!! Your laundry is amazing by the way:))

• Reply foreverorganised June 24, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Thank you Libby πŸ™‚ I hope the labels turn out great for you.

• Reply Anonymous June 21, 2013 at 7:28 am

I love your laundry. For a place I spend SO much time, mine looks terrible and I really dread going in there. This gives me hope πŸ™‚

• Reply Momo4ever.Com June 27, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Thanks for the lovely label tutorial!! May I asked what paper did you print your labels on?? Love your laundry by the way. Think I'll need to organise my laundry too!!!

• Reply Anonymous July 4, 2013 at 3:06 pm

Thank you for the link to the font…I was trying to find the exact shape that the "=" makes, but Microsoft Word only had such boring shapes. I had tried to combine their parentheses shape, but it didn't look as good. I used the shapes for table markers for my friend's upcoming birthday. Thanks again!

• Reply The Comprehensive Guide on How to Organise Your Home – A WordPress Site September 15, 2015 at 11:22 am

[…] Next you need to give everything a home. Use boxes, baskets, bins and containers to keep like items together. You could also whip up some labels so there is no confusion as to what belongs where. Your labels don’t have to be anything fancy, a post it note will do (you can find my label tutorial here). […]

• Reply {15 Minute Monday} Tea and Coffee – A WordPress Site September 16, 2015 at 12:35 pm

[…] you are feeling creative, you could whip up some labels using this easy tutorial and stick them onto your containers. I printed mine onto sticky labels then cut them […]

• Reply {15 Minute Monday} Kids Clothes Bins – A WordPress Site September 16, 2015 at 12:36 pm

[…] you need to do is find a storage container. If you want you can make a pretty label (using this tutorial) to stick on the front. I made up this little one for Hazel’s box and printed it on to label […]

• Reply Our Organised Playroom – A WordPress Site September 24, 2015 at 12:58 pm

[…] made up some cute labels using this super easy tutorial and stuck them onto the boxes. At the moment the labels are mostly for B and I, although Hazel […]

• Reply {Favourite Posts} June – A WordPress Site September 24, 2015 at 1:19 pm

[…] shared an easy tutorial on how I made all my laundry labels using Microsoft […]

• Reply Lucy October 15, 2015 at 6:00 am

This seems really silly but I can’t download the font?

• Reply Lauren D May 6, 2016 at 10:46 am

I just made an awesome teacher gift using this font. I’m super excited because I didn’t even know it was possible, let alone for free!! Thank-you so much for sharing!!!