Clean

Cleaning Caddy

June 18, 2013

You must know by now that I am a huge fan of anything that saves me time. Today I want to show you my cleaning caddy, what is in it, how I use it and how it will save you stacks of time.

How many times have you gone to clean the bathroom but have forgotten to grab your glass cleaner or a scrubbing brush? Or you get half way through and need another microfiber cloth? You spend so long running backward and forwards getting supplies that your simple cleaning task has now taken twice as long. Not ideal, especially when you are cleaning the bathroom.

A cleaning caddy is such a simple idea and is really easy to set up. Your cleaning will be a breeze when you have everything you need right next to you.

My caddy is from the dollar shop and I think it was about $3. You can pick one up from most department stores, supermarkets and hardware stores. You don’t need anything fancy, just make sure it is wide enough to fit your cleaning sprays.

What goes in your cleaning caddy? There is no rules, generally whatever you usually use to clean. This is what I keep in mine:

• All Purpose Cleaner
  • Glass Cleaner
  • Bathroom Cleaner
  • Toilet Disks
  • Spray bottle with Vinegar
  • Shaker of Baking Soda
  • Microfibre Cloths
  • Glass Microfibre Cloths
  • Enjo Dusting Glove
  • Scrubbing Brushes
  • Toothbrush
  • Lint Roller
  • Rubber Gloves
  • Garbage Bags

The cleaning products I use are from Earth Choice and they are fantastic. All natural with no harmful chemicals, they smell great and are less expensive than regular cleaning products. I keep some vinegar and baking soda in my cleaning bucket for really stuck on mess (shower grout, around taps and drains). I shake on some baking soda and leave it to sit for 10 minutes, give it a spray with vinegar then use some elbow grease to scrub it clean.

How to make best use of your cleaning caddy? Before you start to clean make sure you have everything you need, get a glass of water, put some music on, give the kids something to entertain them (or better yet, get them to help). Grab your cleaning caddy and anything else you may need, vacuum, mop, broom etc. Then head to your starting spot (you all have a ‘spot’ right? Mine is our ensuite, my brain can’t handle starting to clean from any other room).

Work your way through the house taking the cleaning caddy with you into every room. You should have everything you need with you and hopefully it will take you much less time than usual. If you find that you need something which isn’t in your caddy make sure you leave it in there for next time. After a couple of cleans, you should have everything you could ever need.

When I am done I put my cleaning caddy back on the shelf in my laundry cupboard and it is ready to go for next time.

I hope by having a cleaning caddy you save heaps of time on your cleaning routine and may even start to enjoy cleaning (too far?).

What are your must have cleaning supplies? Is your house cleaning very methodical? Where is your ‘spot’ or do you ‘spider clean’ like my husband (he seriously cleans like a spider would, all over the house at a million miles an hour)?

You Might Also Like

14 Comments

• Reply Lauren R June 18, 2013 at 12:52 pm

My starting point is always the kitchen countertops. I feel instantly better when they are clean and disinfected. I can't wait to create a cleaning caddy this weekend. It's been on my to do list forever.

• Reply foreverorganised June 19, 2013 at 11:36 am

Ah yes doesn't it make you feel so much better, I can't go to bed unless my kitchen counters are clean and my sink is empty. It is so lovely to wake up to a clean kitchen each morning. Let me know how you go with your caddy 🙂

• Reply Lisa (bakebikeblog) June 18, 2013 at 11:29 pm

Hi there! Its always so lovely to come across a fellow Canberran!

Love this idea for the caddy – we have something similar – but its more of a bucket lol

• Reply foreverorganised June 19, 2013 at 11:38 am

Why hello there 🙂 I have had a few messages from fellow Canberran's today, maybe we should start a Canberra Mums Organisers Anonymous group 😉

• Reply Anonymous June 19, 2013 at 6:55 am

ha ha I also have a Caddy- more like a bucket too!

• Reply foreverorganised June 19, 2013 at 11:41 am

A bucket is kind of a caddy 😉 As long as it carries all your gear from one room to the next it is perfect!

• Reply Anonymous June 19, 2013 at 8:57 am

Great ideas! I'm thinking about incorporating this into a trolley (maybe like a laundry trolley) so I can easily move the caddy about with the vacuum and broom and dust pan… Will let you know how it goes 😉

• Reply foreverorganised June 19, 2013 at 11:50 am

Oh I saw something like this only a couple of days ago. It looked fantastic but I can't find it anywhere. It had the vacuum down the bottom and a cleaning caddy on top. If I happen to find it again I will send you a link 🙂

• Reply Carly Joyce June 19, 2013 at 11:10 am

Hi Jess, have just discovered your blog thanks to The Organised Housewife. I am already such a fan and it has been half a day! I look forward to perusing your site and "borrowing" some ideas!

• Reply foreverorganised June 19, 2013 at 11:51 am

Thank you for stopping by Carly 🙂 You can borrow all you like, I hope you find something that helps 🙂

• Reply Miss Kat June 29, 2013 at 8:19 am

Hi Jess – I recently found you via The Organised Housewife. Have just finished reading your blog from the beginning and absolutely loved it. So inspired! I started with reorganising my handbag, then the cutlery drawer, and have just finished putting together my own cleaning caddy (and then using it to clean the bathroom!)

• Reply Tool Caddy – A WordPress Site September 15, 2015 at 12:40 pm

[…] have a bit of a crush on caddies at the moment, I used a caddy for cleaning and one for my makeup. Today I want to show you how I use a caddy to organise my tools.   […]

• Reply 1st Birthday Celebrations + a Giveaway! – A WordPress Site September 21, 2015 at 1:33 pm

[…] Envelopes Budget Binder Cleaning Caddy Our Daily Routine Filing System Handbag Organisation Packing for Kids Label Tutorial Our […]

• Reply Makeup Organisation – A WordPress Site September 21, 2015 at 1:54 pm

[…] in a travel beauty case forever when I had a vision. What if I used a caddy? Like I do for my cleaning gear. Only, smaller and way […]