Kitchen Organise

7 Day Kitchen Clutter Challenge

June 30, 2013

Today I want to give all my lovely readers a challenge. Take a look at your kitchen counter right now, how is it looking? Do you have piles of paper and junk mail? Lots of random bits and pieces that don’t really have a home? Sunglasses, keys, wallets?

Don’t fret, mine looks the same sometimes. This week we are going to get rid of that clutter… For good!

The kitchen is the heart of the home and with that comes clutter. You want your kitchen to be a place you enjoy being in, somewhere you can spend time with your family. Your kitchen shouldn’t be a place that makes you anxious every time you look at it.

This simple little task could save you the headache of having overflowing kitchen counters all the time. So, who is with me? It will be easy, I promise.

For this challenge, all you will need is a box or washing basket, something that will hold a lot of stuff.

First take everything that doesn’t belong on your kitchen counter and put it into your basket.

For the next 7 days, everything that ends up on the kitchen bench goes into your basket. You should be building up quite a stash of stuff.

During the week, I want you to comment below and let me know what kind of things you have in your basket. Give me specifics, the more you tell me the more I can help. I am going to come up with some solutions for you to stop these items accumulating on your kitchen bench.

Next Sunday I will put up a post with how you can remove that clutter for good. We will work together to give each item a home. I will help you implement new systems and rethink ones that aren’t working very well.

Sound good? Are you up for the challenge? I can’t wait to help you remove that clutter and start living a more organised life.

You Might Also Like

16 Comments

• Reply Anonymous June 30, 2013 at 11:51 am

What a great idea! I will be doing this challenge over the next 7 days.

• Reply Anonymous June 30, 2013 at 12:05 pm

My issue is the folding up just stays there unless I physically take it and put it away as the four blokes big and small who make up our family just seem to think the clothes shoudl stay there till mum does something other than remind and remind.
    Yes I could take the piles and put away but would like the boys to take responsibility!!!!!!

• Reply Rachel D June 30, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Love this! Already started. And can't wait for 15 minute Monday, cutlery draw and handbag are all sorted. The little purses in the handbag is genius!

• Reply Rachel D June 30, 2013 at 12:31 pm

Already in my basket….loose change, mail, vitamim bottles, my bubba's sippy cups and drink bottles, wallets and sunnies, junk mail, handcream, chewimg gum, USBs!

• Reply Leanne Renehan June 30, 2013 at 12:49 pm

My big clutter problem is school papers, toys, books, mail and magazines. I'm sure the basket will have more 'stuff' after a week though.

• Reply Lauren June 30, 2013 at 8:08 pm

My big problem in the kitchen is mail. Just stacks of it. Putting it in a basket really makes it easier when it's time to sort.

• Reply Anonymous July 1, 2013 at 12:17 am

Junk mail, hat, keys, phones, chargers, sippy cup, pens, loose change… I blame my husband! How can I encourage him to not just dump everything there?!

• Reply BeckW July 1, 2013 at 4:38 am

I have a lack of storage space and a hubby who will always find a 'dumping ground' – it's the kitchen bench right now. In my basket I've just put receipts, loose change, keys, school notes, kids toys/books, uni books, cookbooks that I used yesterday, notepads/pens/pencils, phone chargers, junk mail and even a screwdriver! Looking at that list makes me feel a little ill …

• Reply Emma July 7, 2013 at 8:15 am

I had that problem with the kitchen table, until one day I found a great solution. I had a two drawer paper tidy hanging around (the slim A4 sized drawers used in the office), I stuck it on the top shelf of the bookcase nearby and put one of those metal money tins that look like a note next to it. Told hubby the lower drawer is his, top is mine and loose change goes in the tin toward his project car. because it is so easy to slide open the small drawer, he has used this system for over a year now. 🙂

• Reply Lindsey July 1, 2013 at 8:21 am

Well I did clear the bench into a box this morning and it looked great, now it is completely covered again 🙁
    My biggest problem is hubby and kids who use it as a dumping ground. In my box so far: books, toys, smoke alarm (that hubby replaced then left the old one on the bench), newspapers/mail/junk mail, thermometer, artwork, magazine, quotes and receipts, a sock, items that don't really have a home such as a steel puzzle that hubby was given.
    I look forward to getting some help with this all as it drives me crazy

• Reply Fleur July 2, 2013 at 2:41 am

So pleased that you are running this challenge – it is such a big issue in my organising! This is what I have so far: school reports, big A3 size binders for kids school portfolios, games, toys, recipes, brochures, new wrapping paper, new birthday cards, notepads, bills, warranty information, unopened mail,a plastic pocket, jewellery, car key, coins, kids competition entries. OMG!! Please help. I looooooove your site. Thanks!

• Reply Fleur July 4, 2013 at 10:37 am

Hi, a few days have passed and I have some new kitchen clutter. Here are the new items that have accumulated on my bench: a modem, a torch,a garage door opener, a citilink car toll pass, pens, monthly organisation notepad(ha ha ha), kids drawings, postcard, gardening club catalogues, camping packing list, more brochures, lots more recipes and a calendar. Thanks for your help. I have put everything in a basket and am really looking forward to reading all your solutions!!! Cheers, Fleur

• Reply Anonymous July 4, 2013 at 1:50 pm

I really need help with this – kitchen always looks messy! All of the above is on my bench and kids drawings, kids drawings and more kids drawings 🙂

• Reply Anonymous July 7, 2013 at 3:26 am

In the basket
    Sippy cups
    Wallet, hubby wedding band, phones and various chargers
    Spices
    Junk mail
    Weekly calendar
    Books
    Bills
    Dummies
    Broken toy pieces
    Batteries
    Fruitbowl
    Day care fees

• Reply 7 Day Kitchen Clutter Challenge – Part 2 – A WordPress Site September 16, 2015 at 12:36 pm

[…] Sunday night I set a challenge for all my lovely readers to get rid of their kitchen counter clutter for […]

• Reply {Favourite Posts} June – A WordPress Site September 24, 2015 at 1:20 pm

[…] ended the month with a challenge to rid your kitchen counter of clutter for […]