I have recently started experimenting with making my own household cleaners. Today I have a recipe for a disinfectant all purpose spray. I use this in the kitchen on all my benches and stainless steel. I also have a bottle under each of my bathroom sinks.
This spray is really easy to make and you will probably have most of the ingredients in your kitchen pantry.
You will need:
- 1 tablespoon Bi-Carb Soda (Baking Soda)
- 1/4 cup White Vinegar
- 2 teaspoons Lemon or Tea Tree Essential Oil (or both for an extra punch)
- Spray Bottle
Aside from the money you will save by making your own household cleaners, these ingredients have amazing cleaning properties.
- Bi-Carb has great odour neutralising properties, perfect for kitchens and bathrooms.
- Vinegar has strong anti-bacterial properties; it was found to remove 90% of mould and 99.9% of bacteria. Vinegar is also great for cleaning stainless steel and glass.
- Lemon Essential Oil deodorises, removes grease, bleaches stains and disinfects.
- Tea Tree Essential Oil is the big winner here, it is 5 times more effective than regular household disinfectants however it is 100% natural. Tea Tree Oil is a natural deodoriser, removes mould and mildew, and can be used to kill germs and mould in the indoor air.
To make the cleaner, take your spray bottle and put the Bi-Carb in. Next you will want to pour your vinegar into the bottle (this may fizz a little, don’t be alarmed). Put your essential oil in next, then fill the spray bottle up with water. Give it a quick shake, add a cute label and you are ready to clean.
Since it is so quick, easy and cheap to make; I keep a bottle under my kitchen sink, in the laundry and under both of my bathroom sinks. You really can’t go wrong with this cleaner, it is so versatile not to mention SAFE for you and your family. No more inhaling nasty chemicals.
I am so happy I have started making the switch to natural homemade cleaners and am slowly making cleaners for almost everything you could think of. Do you make your own cleaners? Does anyone have any recipes they would like to share? If you are thinking of making the switch, this is a great place to start. I promise you won’t look back.